Sunday, June 14, 2009

Instructional Design Models

Instructional Design Models

Submitted by Kay Dean
Submitted as Partial Fulfillment of the Class
EDU 255

In contrasting and comparing two instructional design models, I chose Behaviorism and
Constructivism. The reason for my choice is because both of these two theories
impacted my life for my entire lifetime. I was raised in Behavioristic times as a child and as a K-12 student. Except there was no such thing as Kindergarten in New York in
1947. My major in college was vocational education. That area is hands-on and definitely Constructivist in nature. I realized the importance in my mathematics minor
for the Constructivist approach, so when I began teaching in Tuba City High School,
with Native Americans, it was an easy transition for me from a Behaviorist teaching style
to Constructivist.

I have chosen a Venn diagram to compare and contrast these two theories:


Behaviorism Constructivism
Instructor designs learning environment
The learner is passive and responding
to stimuli
The climate for learning is dependent
on the right stimuli to promote
learning
Training

Instructor mentors student interaction
and builds on known concepts
Learners create their own learning
objectives
The learning is designed to assist
students to build on what they
know. Students have a vested
interest in their learning and
want to involve real experience
Teachers are not the sole fountain
of knowledge
Teachers are co-learners and
Guides











In the overlap of the two circles are objectives, learners, teachers, written material of some sort, socialization, organization, frameworks and methods for revision.

No comments:

Post a Comment